Youth & Family Program Volunteer
Weekend workshops and school-based programs provide students 5 -16 with hands-on opportunities to learn about architecture and design alongside architectural professionals. Volunteers are primarily needed for weekend workshops for teens and families, school-based programming, or to lead tours for youth and families.
What is expected of a youth & family volunteer?
Youth Programs volunteers assist the Program Director with general program assistance including but not limited to classroom aid, program delivery, lesson planning and logistical support. Many programs run on Saturdays or at the end of the school day. Youth tour guides will need to be available on weekdays.
Required Training or Skills:
SAF is looking for people with experience working with youth, who are committed to working within a race & social justice framework, can work as part of a team, can correspond professionally with educators and guardians, and have interest or expertise in design, urban planning and/or architecture.
- Be reliable – our programs depend on volunteers to make them successful.
- Familiarize yourself with SAF’s mission and youth programs through research and by assisting with SAF youth workshops, frequently on weekends or off-site at local architecture firms & schools.
- Provide logistical & prep support for SAF staff prior to workshops.
- Demonstrate good humor and respect when interacting with youth.
- Attend occasional evening meetings with volunteers, teaching artists, SAF staff.