Tour Guide Volunteer
Tour guides serve as ambassadors for our city and lead architectural walking tours of downtown Seattle and select neighborhoods. The tour season begins in April and runs through December.
What is Expected of a SAF Tour Guide?
SAF tour guides are content experts on the tours they lead. Guides serve as ambassadors for Seattle, its architecture & history. Tour guides typically lead 4 - 12 tours a year, based on their availability. SAF relies on tour guides to show up for scheduled tours prepared to lead and serve as positive representatives of SAF and its mission.
Tours run Thursday – Sunday, usually at 10 am or 1 pm, and guides need to be available during those times.
Required Training or Skills:
- Interest and passion for architecture and history and willingness to learn
- One-day annual training, usually held on a Saturday in mid-March.
- After initial training, guides work with mentors to learn a tour route, presentation and research skills.
- Trainees lead a practice tour with a public audience and receive feedback.
- Co-guide 4 tours with a trained guide, until ready to lead on their own. (Usually takes 6-months to a year)
When tour guide training opens up in January, you will be notified, but make sure you sign up as space is limited.