SAF Summer Programs Design Instructor
Part-time paid position
Seattle Architecture Foundation Mission
The Seattle Architecture Foundation (SAF) connects people to the architecture, design, and history of Seattle. We believe the more you engage with design, the more you feel connected to your changing city. As a volunteer driven organization, we provide programs which will empower you to make a difference in your community.
SAF serves students at school and community sites throughout Greater Seattle, providing workshops designed to connect students to the built environment through hands-on design and modeling projects. We are looking for a Design Instructor to teach Monday – Friday in Capitol Hill, Seattle from 8:30-12:30pm, July 5th – August 12th 2022. Paid training and orientation will begin the week of June 27th.
- 1-2 years of experience working with elementary, middle or high school students
- Study or practice related to architecture, design, art and/or urbanism
- Commitment to working within a racial, gender, and class equity framework
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Willing to submit to background checks
- Participate in paid training and planning sessions by SAF
- Attend on-site paid orientation sessions at the end of June
- Lead lessons and activities at school and community sites
- Support and delegate to SAF guest architect volunteers in the classroom
- Work collaboratively with the SAF Program Director and school partners to meet the needs of students
- Summer Assignment runs Monday – Friday from 8:30-12:30pm, July 5th – August 12th in Capitol Hill, Seattle
- Additional opportunities and hours may be available through teaching at other sites, facilitating workshops hosted at the Center for Architecture and Design (SAF office) in Downtown Seattle, on-site workshops at area schools, and summer partnerships.
- Priority will be given to candidates with some availability to continue working in-person through the fall.
The Design Instructor position is paid hourly at $20-$25/hour, DOE. Free lunch is provided.
- Gain experience teaching Design, Architecture and Neighborhood focused curriculum to youth ages 10-16, with opportunities to collaborate in the design of curriculum
- Sharpen communication and presentation skills
- The opportunity to work with amazing students throughout Greater Seattle to encourage their passions and demonstrate how they can promote positive change in their community through architecture & design
- Network with professionals in the Seattle architecture & design community
- Attend most SAF tours and events for FREE
The Seattle Architecture Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to have our instructors reflect the diverse identities and intersectionality of our students. BIPOC, LGBTQ, and multilingual applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Please send a brief cover letter, résumé and, if applicable, up to (3) examples of past relevant architecture, design, or artwork to Marina Szende, Program Director, at email@example.com. No calls or office visits, please.